Wednesday 9 March 2016

Book Talk - The Lies About Truth by Courtney C Stevens

Greetings fellow earthlings! It's me, Unicorn. I was at the library last week and wanted something to read, so I decided to just pick something with a pretty cover and see if I like it. (You shouldn't judge a book by its' cover. I know, I know, I'm sorry.) I picked The Lies About Truth by Courtney C. Stevens. (That pretty Polaroid got me.) It's a relatively new book; it actually only came out in November. Even though I picked up this book almost solely because of the cover, I was not disappointed. Not really. I'm not totally sure how I feel about this book, to be honest.

This book is about a girl named Sadie who was in a terrible car accident in which her best friend Trent died, and she now has scars. She doesn't liked crowds or people in general and avoids most humans except for her parents and therapist (I'm 99% sure she has a therapist, but I might be getting this mixed up with another book.) Every night she writes the same list for herself. All of her goals are on it, but they're seemingly impossible and she has to face her worst fears in order to complete them.
The Lies About Truth combines love, adventure, loss, forgiveness, lies, mystery and anger. I liked the characters, though I think it took a while to actually be able to get to know them. I never really felt attached to any of the characters, and I never felt bad for them, no matter how much grief they were going through. I haven't experienced a loss like that in my life, so I can't say if I think the way it's portrayed is accurate or not.

The characters also all seemed really similar. Gray, Gina, Sadie, and Max all seemed pretty much identical when they were together. I do think the friendships were pretty realistic, though. They had problems at times but also bonded over certain things, which I liked. I also loved the flashbacks Sadie had of her past.

One thing I didn't like much was how slow moving it was. It took quite a while for the story to really begin and then (SPOILER ALERT, GO TO NEXT PARAGRAPH) when they went to the Fountain Of Youth, not much really happened. Gray confessed what he did and they drank some water from the fountain.

When Sadie completed goals on her list, it didn't make me feel excited. I didn't go 'Yes, she finally did it! Go Sadie! Another thing to check off of your list! Woop woop!' Like I said before, I never had an 'emotional connection' with the characters. When the characters were mad at each other, I wasn't upset. I didn't feel much emotion throughout this book at all.

I'd give this book between 3 and 3.5 stars. If you like contemporary romance books and don't mind if a story is a little slow, you'll probably enjoy this. It just wasn't my personal favourite.


Thanks for stopping by!


~Unicorn

No comments:

Post a Comment